- Sooooooooooooo the Queen is dead, and now the UK has a new king. I wouldn’t call myself a royalist or monarchist at all, as there’s plenty to criticise about the royal family, but I’m a little sad to see her go. QE took her role very seriously and fulfilled her duties (such as they were) responsibly and with dignity, which isn’t something I could say about recent prime ministers. She ruled for 70 years, and saw incredible social and global change over that time. Her death marks the end of an era, and it’ll be interesting to see how Charles does as king in her wake.
- The Great British Bake-Off is back on and I literally forgot about it. I’m a bit disillusioned by it – I think the judges show favoritism and aren’t consistent with their judging approach (to explain: one year, I think it was 2019, they said they awarded it to the best contestant on the day. Last year, 2021, they awarded it to the most consistent contestant over the course of the show. In both cases, I thought the runner ups were stronger and that male contestants were valued over female ones), and I despise the shitty humour Noel Fielding and Matt Lucas are forced to act out. I also dislike how it went from two female presenters to two male ones, and combined with Paul Hollywood introducing his own level of judgement/awards (to be fair to him, I don’t think it was deliberate), I see a show that’s basically lost its way. I suspect Channel 4 keeps trying to shake things up with the show. Given my ossification into staid middle age is well under way, I don’t like the change and I’m not bothered about watching it this year.
- Writing: I finally finished an oldish thing that I’ve been picking at, a short story that I started in 2017. It’s not very good but I’m so happy it’s done.
- Reading: I finished How to Survive a Sharknado, and I’m working my way through an early Terry Goodkind book. Fanfic keeps sucking me back in despite best efforts *deep sigh*
- Watching: LOTR! For the second time! Ahhh. Also still going on Crash Landing on You.
- Music: YT brought up a blast from the past for me, which sent me down a 2012 rabbit hole. I can’t believe it’s been 10 years.